Class Code: 5923
Open Date: 08-21-15
(Exam Open to All, including Current City Employees)
ANNUAL SALARY: $88,113 and $90,807 (flat-rated)
- For information regarding reciprocity between City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to: http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf.
- Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to vacancies in the lower pay grade positions.
- The current salary range is subject to change. You may confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
Most positions may require night and weekend work. Candidates willing to work various shifts are especially desired. Higher salaries are paid for shift work
A Building Operating Engineer operates, monitors, and performs maintenance on high pressure gas or oil fired boilers, gas or steam turbines, energy recovery boilers and heat exchangers, other heating systems, and their auxiliaries in supplying steam or high temperature hot water for space heating and similar purposes; operates, monitors, and performs maintenance on large tonnage capacity chillers used for air-conditioning, including all auxiliary related equipment such as condensers, cooling towers, pumps, and air compressors; performs water treatment tests and analysis; monitors and maintains other building service equipment; operates and programs computer based building automation systems, trouble-shoot program control sequence of operation, operates and maintains various types of refrigeration and air conditioning air handling units, operates and monitors computer based lighting control systems; responds and investigates building tenant service requests; tests and monitors fire life and safety alarm systems; maintains the building operability while optimizing equipment performance for efficient energy management and energy reduction
A valid unlimited Steam Engineer’s license issued by the Department of Building and Safety of the City of Los Angeles is required at the time of filing.
- Applicants must list their unlimited steam engineer’s license and date in the Special Licenses section of the application.
- A valid universal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certificate is required prior to appointment pursuant to Section 608 of the Clean Air Act.
- All positions at the Los Angeles World Airports require a turbine endorsement issued by the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety prior to the completion of probation.
- Some positions may require a valid California driver’s license. Candidates may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
WHERE TO APPLY
Applications will only be accepted online. When you are viewing the online job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the “Apply” icon. Online job bulletins are also available at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm for Open Competitive Examinations